August 6 2021
The following Planning Commission meeting will be conducted as a virtual meeting in accordance with Ohio’s Open Meetings Laws as amended by Sub. H.B 19 7. We will be utilizing the WebEx platform. For more information please visit:
SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS – Public Art
1. NW2021-017 – Equality Mural at Kamal’s Tires: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 4301 Clark Avenue
Presenter: Susie Underwood, Metro West
2. Crossroads: Still We Rise Augmented Reality: Informational Purposes Only
Project Locations: Various locations in Buckeye, Central, Glenville, Kinsman, and Slavic Village
Project Representative: Grace Chin, The Sculpture Center
3. NE2021-022 – WRDSMTH Mural at Five Points Community Center: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 813 East 152nd Street
Presenters: Rachel Pollock, Graffiti HeArt
Allison Hennie, Graffiti HeArt
4. Persist Mural at Gatewood Home/Share: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 582 East 185th Street
Project Representatives: Marlene Gatewood-Allen, Property Owner
Linda Zolten Wood, Artist
1. For PPN# 007-01-071
Project Address: 4210 Orchard Avenue
Project Representative: Jeff Snacki, Property Owner
Note: this project was Tabled by the Planning Commission on June 4, 2021.
2. For PPNs# 003-30-096, -097, & -120
Project Addresses: 4005 & 4009 Woodbine Avenue; 3914 John Avenue
Project Representative: TBD
3. For former PPN# 001-10-074
Project Addresses: 9803 & 9805 Lake Avenue
Project Representative: Westleigh Harper, Horton Harper Architects
1. Ordinance No. 228-2021(Ward 5/Councilmember Gray): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to lease certain property located in the Opportunity Corridor Superblock 3B, to Norsom Development & Construction LLC, or its designee, for a term not to exceed three years; authorizing the Director of Public Works to enter into a Purchase Agreement with Norsom Development & Construction LLC, or its designee for those properties which are currently in the City’s Land Reutilization Program, in connection with the construction and operation of the Construction Opportunity Institute of Cleveland; and authorizing the Commissioner of Purchases and Supplies to convey the properties, which are no longer needed for the City’s public use.
2. Ordinance No. 539-2021(Ward 15/Councilmember Spencer): Authorizing the Mayor and the Commissioner of Purchases and Supplies to acquire and re-convey properties presently owned by 5506 Detroit, LLC, or its designee, and Mayekar Familia, LLC, or its designee, located at 5506 Detroit Avenue for the purpose of entering into the chain-of-title prior to the adoption of tax increment financing legislation authorized under Section 5709.41 of the Revised Code for the Waverly & Oak Apartments Project.
1. Ordinance No. 532-2021(Ward 12/Councilmember Brancatelli): Authorizing the Director of Public Safety to enter into an agreement with the Cleveland Metropolitan School District relating to the purchase, lease and redevelopment of South High School located at 7415 Broadway Avenue to facilitate a public safety training academy; authorizing the Mayor and the Commissioner of Purchases and Supplies to purchase the building and property; authorizing the leaseback of a portion of the building and property to the school district for a term of twenty years; determining the method of making the public improvement of renovating the building and property; authorizing contracts, accepting grants and gifts, and authorizing the direct employment of the necessary labor to implement, for the Department of Public Safety and/or Office of Capital Projects.2.
2. Ordinance No. 536-2021(Ward 9/Councilmember Conwell): Authorizing the Director of Public Works to apply for and accept a grant from The Cleveland Foundation for the development of the African-American Cultural Gardens.
3. Ordinance No. 538-2021(Ward 7/Councilmember B. Jones): Approving the report of the Assessment Equalization Board on objections concerning estimated assessments with respect to the continuation of The Cleveland Superior Arts Improvement District and the new plan to provide public services for the District; determining to proceed with the plan; adopting and levying the assessments; and authorizing the City to enter into an agreement with the Cleveland Superior Arts Improvement Corporation.
4. Ordinance No. 551-2021(Ward 17/Councilmember Slife): Authorizing the Director of Port Control to enter into a Lease Agreement with the United States Postal Service for the lease of property and a facility on Cargo Road to operate a warehouse, sorting facility, and post office retail store, for the Division of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, Department of Port Control, for a period of five years with one five-year option to renew, exercisable by the Director of Port Control.
5. Ordinance No. 552-2021(Ward 3/Councilmember McCormack): Authorizing the Director of Port Control to enter into a Lease Agreement with Ultimate Air Charters, LLC for the lease of certain space located in the passenger terminal building at Burke Lakefront Airport, for the Department of Port Control, for a period of one year, with four one-year options to renew, the second of which requires additional legislative authority.
6. Ordinance No. 553-2021(Ward 17/Councilmember Slife): Authorizing the Director of Port Control to enter into a Lease Agreement with KCLE JETS INC. dba JETS FBO Network for the lease of an aircraft hangar and associated ramp parking space at 19601 Five Points Road for operation of a fixed-base operating business, for the Division of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, Department of Port Control, for a period of twenty years with two five-year options to renew, the first of which requires additional legislative authority.
7. Ordinance No. 556-2021(Ward 7/Councilmember B. Jones): Authorizing the Director of Economic Development to enter into a Tax Increment Financing Agreement with CC Superior Holding LLC, and/or its designee, to fund eligible project costs or project debt for the development of property for the Cross Country Mortgage Services Project located between Payne and Superior Avenue and E. 21st and E. 22nd Streets; to provide for payments to the Cleveland Metropolitan School District; and to declare certain improvements to real property to be a public purpose.
8. Ordinance No. 568-2021(Ward 3/Councilmember McCormack): Authorizing the Mayor and the Commissioner of Purchases and Supplies to purchase property for park purposes located at the intersection of Starkweather and Professor Avenues; to name the park “Lucky Park’; and authorizing a property adoption agreement with Tremont West Development Corporation for park maintenance.
9. Ordinance No. 587-2021(Ward 10/Councilmember Hairston): Designating East 147th Street from Aspinwall Avenue to Pepper Avenue with a secondary and honorary designation of “Pastor James Walden, Jr. Way.”
FAR WEST DESIGN REVIEW
1. FW2020-019 – Arby’s Renovation: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 17325 Lorain Avenue
Project Representative: Joseph Jorge, CESO
Note: this project received Conceptual Approval on May 7, 2021.
2. FW2021-024 – Lorain Avenue Carnegie Library Addition, ADA Entrance, and Seating Area New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 8216 Lorain Avenue
Project Representative: Jennifer Dort, HBM Architects
3.FW2021-026 – Krueger Group Apartments New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 1270 West 58th Street
Project Representative: Paul Glowacki, Dimit Architects
EAST DESIGN REVIEW
1. East2021-006 – Innovation Square Phase I New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Location: 2260 East 105th Street
Project Representative: Krysta Pesarchick, City Architecture
Note: this project received Schematic Design Approval from the Planning Commission on February 19, 2021.
2. EAST2021-007 – Farm House Front Elevation Partial Demolition/Renovation: Seeking Schematic Design Approval
Project Address: 9000 Woodland Avenue
Project Representative: Dan Simon, Old English Builders
NEAR WEST DESIGN REVIEW
1. NW2021-021 – West 20th and Smith Townhomes New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval
Project Location: West 20th Street and Smith Court
Project Representative: Westleigh Harper, Horton Harper Architects
2. NW2021-022 – Proposed Demolition of a Two-Story Mixed-Use Building: Seeking Final Approval per §341.08 of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances
Project Address: 2843 West 25th Street
Project Representative: Katie McCoy, Property Owner
NORTHEAST DESIGN REVIEW
1. NE2021-024 – Proposed Demolition of a 1-Story Commercial Building: Seeking Final Approval per §341.08 of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances
Project Address: 788 East 185th Street
Project Representative: Valencia White, City of Cleveland
2. NE2021-027 – Proposed Demolition of a 1-Story Commercial Building: Seeking Final Approval per §341.08 of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances
Project Address: 786 East 105th Street
Project Representative: Choneca Brown, Urban Recycling
3. NE2021-028 – Cuyahoga TAY Apartment Building New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval
Project Addresses: 1415-1430 East 45th Street
Project Representative: Brian Gambort, HD+S
EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW
1. EC2021-017 – Community Builders Now Leasing Banner: Seeking Conceptual Approval
Project Address: 1990 Ford Drive
Project Representative: Mark Bailin, Diamond Signs & Graphics
DOWNTOWN/FLATS DESIGN REVIEW
1. DF2021-009 – St. John’s Cathedral Monument Sign: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 1007 Superior Avenue
Project Representative: Terry Fields, Berardi Partners
Note: this is a revised submittal of a project that was Approved with the Condition on May 7, 2021 that the City create a policy regarding live-streaming of events on electronic message centers.
2. DF2021-018 – Apollo Apartments Renovation: Seeking Schematic Design Approval
Project Address: 1250 Riverbed Street
Project Representative: Kyle Dreyfuss-Wells, RDL Architects
DIRECTOR’S REPORT EXECUTIVE SESSION