IMPORTANT NOTE: At the time of submitting an application, copies of the following items are required to be uploaded as attachments to that application:
- Proof of Education (as described below);
- Driver’s License or Government Issued ID;
- Proof of Residency (as described below), which is only required if the applicant is a resident of Cleveland seeking residency credit for the examination; and
- DD-214 or other materials to prove veteran’s status (as described below), which is only required if the applicant is seeking veteran’s preference points.
The starting salary while in the Police Training Academy is $15.00 per hour. Upon successful completion of the Academy, the salary for Patrol Officer is $53,779.43 per year.
Examples of Duties
Under supervision of a Sergeant or other superior officer, performs general and special police duty in an assigned district or unit in the preservation of law and order. Protect life and property. Enforces laws and ordinances. Prevents and detects crime. Work involves an element of personal danger. Must be willing and capable of carrying any Divisional issued weapon and wearing any Divisional issued equipment or uniform. Testifies at administrative or judicial proceedings as required. Acts without direct supervision and exercises independent judgment in meeting complex situations. Performs other job-related duties as required. Follows all operations and safety policies and safe work practices. Attends and participates in operations and safety training classes and demonstrates competence (demonstration of competence may be determined by exam.) Wears and properly utilizes safety equipment in accordance with Divisional policy at all times.
AGE: Applicant must be a minimum of 21 years of age and no older than 39 years of age AT THE TIME OF APPOINTMENT TO THE CITY OF CLEVELAND POLICE TRAINING ACADEMY.
EDUCATION: Applicants must indicate in their application, and present proof at the time of filing, that they have received a High School Diploma* from an accredited educational institution or have satisfactorily completed the General Education Development Test (GED). One of the following must be attached to your application in either a PDF or JPEG format at the time of filing:
- High School Diploma
- Letter on official stationery from High School or Board of Education stating that the applicant did graduate.
- DD-214 (Separation from Active Duty) which specifically indicates the individual graduated from High School or passed the General Education Development Test.
* If the applicant graduated from, for example, a Charter School was home schooled, or graduated from a school outside of Ohio applicant MUST be able to document that the requirements of the state in which the diploma/GED was issued were met.
APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF PROOF OF IDENTITY, AGE, AND EDUCATION WHEN THEY FILE AN APPLICATION. THE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO VERIFY THE AFOREMENTIONED DOCUMENTS AND TO WITHHOLD THE ACCEPTANCE OR REJECTION OF APPLICATION UNTIL SUCH VERIFICATION CAN BE OBTAINED.
Applicant must have a valid State of Ohio Driver’s License PRIOR to appointment to the Police Academy.
Applicant must be a citizen of the United States PRIOR to appointment to the Police Academy.
A Police Cadet and Patrol Officers must be available to work any shift on any day of the week.